Silly Bloods
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  01:38:27  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I've mentioned before that Blood Pythons are paranoid animals, so here's a shot I snapped yesterday during a rare time when all 3 were loose, and as you can see, all 3 are watching me very closely, lol. This is a rare image as I almost never let my adult male brongersmai get that near my young adult breitensteini -> no cross-pollination allowed here, and it can happen really quickly, so I have to keep a VERY close eye on him if she's out.

A shot of Boom-Boom (young adult female breitensteini) showing-off her climbing abilities. If anyone tells you Bloods don't climb, you can say you've seen it. Only obese Bloods don't climb...all 3 of mine do. I don't let mine get obese, it shortens their lives too much

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture

Hatchling

184 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  11:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awwww they're all lovely! They do look a bit suspicious of the camera though!

Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  14:55:57  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Suspicious? Well, that's putting it mildly, lol. These things are down right paranoid. If you move, they stop moving. If you look them in the eye, they start huffing and puffing and if you maintain eye contact, they'll start slowly reversing until they're out of sight, never breaking eye contact to make sure the 'threat' doesn't get any closer.

When a Blood Python is excited, startled or feels threatened (which is almost always if they can see you), they breath *so* heavily that it can shake the object they're sitting on. I've seen them recoil so fast and hard when I walk in the room that they rock the shelf their tub sits on.

The only time my Bloods act like wild snakes is if they scare themselves, and they're all prone to that, lol. Several times I've seen them recoil so quick and with such force that when their own body touches itself from the recoil motion they quite literally jump from fear, and that sets-off a period of extreme paranoia and defensive behaviour. It can take them hours to regain their composure after that.

I have to reiterate that these are NOT a beginner snake and that you REALLY need to know what you're doing around your average Blood. These things hit like a heavy weight prize fighter and can be just plain dangerous at feeding time, having THE strongest feeding response of any snake I've worked with in over 2 decades. I personally enjoy the challenge of keeping them social, but they're certainly not to everyone's taste.

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture
Go to Top of Page

Hatchling

184 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They sound a handful! Think I'll stick to my comfort zone and admire them from a distance

Go to Top of Page

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2011 :  22:59:09  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
its the what we do look from themsitting there all innocent like, bet they were making bart simpson crank calls cracking photos CDN

GMac
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000