Other Reptile Photos
 Luna the IJJ
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hatchling

184 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  20:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Luna gave me a fright last night by poo-ing an unholy amount, weeing massively and then looking wrinkly (not to mention leaving a God awful stink in my bedroom!) making me fear dehydration and insert a humid hide and mist immediately. Today she shed! Rather badly, aided in the end by me and a wet towel, but she's looking good! The shed was 2'3" long

Thanks again to Gmac and Mamma for stopping me freaking out with worry last night!

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  21:18:47  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I normally don't comment on the same photos on all our sites, but enjoy seeing them on all our sites , but this is an exception I really really like this IJ. Stunning.

GMac
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  22:06:26  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
She looks great, what a pretty snake. You'll find these things are bottomless when they're young, so a few really good-sized meals in a row will take away the wrinkles

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture
Go to Top of Page

Hatchling

184 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  12:38:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gmac

I normally don't comment on the same photos on all our sites, but enjoy seeing them on all our sites , but this is an exception I really really like this IJ. Stunning.

Thanks Gmac and CDN, I couldn't be happier with her fed her a rat pink last week as she'd only just arrived and was in blue, but going to attempt a rat fluff tomorrow, I'm sure she'll manage it fine

Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2011 :  13:19:11  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newbie
Thanks Gmac and CDN, I couldn't be happier with her fed her a rat pink last week as she'd only just arrived and was in blue, but going to attempt a rat fluff tomorrow, I'm sure she'll manage it fine

Oh, I'm sure she can handle it. She could probably comfortable handle 2 or 3, actually. I'm just glad she's already eaten for you because IJs are very often difficult to feed for some reason. It's odd when you consider how readily every other Morelia eat.

Here's hoping she's an excellent eater for you because a good-sized Carpet Python is a very rewarding experience. They're just such easy-going snakes and they're just loaded with personality

TODD
Go to Top of Page

Hatchling

184 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  19:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CDN_Blood
Oh, I'm sure she can handle it. She could probably comfortable handle 2 or 3, actually. I'm just glad she's already eaten for you because IJs are very often difficult to feed for some reason. It's odd when you consider how readily every other Morelia eat.

Here's hoping she's an excellent eater for you because a good-sized Carpet Python is a very rewarding experience. They're just such easy-going snakes and they're just loaded with personality

Thanks Todd she already seems to be calm and inquisitive, no aggression whatsoever. Waits patiently while I clean her house around her!

Fed her a rat fluff tonight (and mopped up more wee and mess! Very active digestive system I see!) and I'm sure she could handle 2 if I can persuade her to! Her breeder had a bit of a job getting her going with eating but luckily she's taken alright so far, feeding 2 might put her off...wonder if I could tie the tails together?!

Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2011 :  21:19:57  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by newbie

...wonder if I could tie the tails together?!

I don't recommend any kind of catering to abnormal eating habits, such as binding items together or doing the choo-choo train thing where you put another item in her mouth as one is being swallowed. While IJs can be finicky eaters, enabling odd feeding behaviour seems to be the primary culprit behind the issue from what I've seen of these and what I hear from their keepers.

It's really always best to just stick to normal feeding ideas and let the snake learn on it's own what it needs to do if it wants the food. If you stick to basics, she'll learn what food does for her and she'll likely eat readily once she's truly settled-in

TODD
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000