Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Chaoslillith
Snake mite

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2009 :  07:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Chaoslillith's Homepage  Send Chaoslillith an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I was wondeing if some of you would post more pics of your tanks. I have some ideas of how I want to build mine but it is always good to look at what people have.

I am thinking of building tanks out of plexiglass (acrylic) with holes in the sides and top for some ventilation. I would probably build a false bottom with holes in it and put the clay balls underneath, I would have to build some sort way to remove the false bottom for cleaning purposes. I am thinking 4x2x3 feet ( 4 ft tall, 2 ft wide and 3 feet long) for size. That should be plent of room for a Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

Any ideas? Pics of your setups would be great to see.

Chaos

Kazerella
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  09:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've just looked through my photobucket and don't have one of the viv my brazilian is already in on there (so I'll have to post one when I get home leter)

but.... here is a viv we've bought in preparation for when she's older.

It's all glass to help with humidity, but with mesh lid for good ventiliation. It's 3ft by 2ft by 2ft, so not really tall, but tall enough for a few branches etc.

(in the pic there is a heat mat, but that's because we currently have a king snake in it, when Ruby goes in we'll be heating it with a ceramic probably

Go to Top of Page

Lucy Lu
Snake mite

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2009 :  10:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how much was that one? and now i'm really confused! i've heard so much conflicting info about the type of viv to keep brb's in! fortunately i have mine in a breeder viv at the moment so have some time to research! HELP!! lol

Go to Top of Page

Chaoslillith
Snake mite

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  02:53:03  Show Profile  Visit Chaoslillith's Homepage  Send Chaoslillith an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Nice tank. It seems the general consensus is 3-4 ft long tank the width and heignt vary though. I like 4x2x3 but then I tend to cage my critters in larger homes in general. THey seem to like it.

How are you going to keep it humid? Misting or large water bowl. There is an old trick of putting an aquarium heater in a glass jar filled with water. I would be a little nervouse of the snake wrapping around it but the if heater is set to 70 or so, enough to evaporate water but not enough to make it too hot it could work I guess. As I said I will probably build mine, it will probably be cheaper in the end. I just like to see what people are doing.

Go to Top of Page

Chaoslillith
Snake mite

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  03:09:05  Show Profile  Visit Chaoslillith's Homepage  Send Chaoslillith an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here is a video of my Red Tail in her tank. I bought the tank, someone had built it for their beardies but they were moving and had to get rid of the beardies and I got the tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxCr1RpidIw

This is the tank when it was set up for crested geckos. For her I kept the large forked stick/pole you see, a large cork bark hide, a bowl of water and cypress but here you can see the size.

She will probably outgrow this by next year though heh.

Edited by - Chaoslillith on 27/10/2009 17:45:28
Go to Top of Page

xmas snake
Snake mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  08:19:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that is one fab viv. i'm very jealous. puts the shop bought ones to shame in my humble opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Chaoslillith
Snake mite

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  17:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Chaoslillith's Homepage  Send Chaoslillith an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have found that handmade tanks are always nicer.

This is what the cresties are in now. I designed the tanks after I met a gentleman who hand makes glass tanks.

Each crested gecko has a tank that is 30 inches tall, 12 inches wide and 20 inches deep. There are 5 segments in each tank. I bought 10 crested gecko hatchlings over a year ago. They started in the tank I listed above and ended up in these tanks. I have two of these tanks, you can see the beginning of the second one on the right in the picture.

Edited by - Chaoslillith on 27/10/2009 17:45:08
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  19:44:10  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow those tanks are brilliant. I daren't put mine up now

I love cresties too, I'm not normally a lizard type of girl, but they've definitely caught my eye. Are they easy to keep?

Go to Top of Page

Chaoslillith
Snake mite

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  23:31:53  Show Profile  Visit Chaoslillith's Homepage  Send Chaoslillith an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Cresties are easy for a couple of reasons, they live at what is room temp here in Arizona 75-80 (80 + is getting too warm). They do not have to have crickets. Look up Crested Gecko Diet by Repashy. It is a powder that you add water to and give to the cresties. They are primarily fruit eaters. Do not feed them baby food, people used to years ago. Now there is too much sugar and such in baby food. The Crested Gecko Diet takes care of all their nutritional needs.

I usually feed mine bugs every couple of weeks to spice things up. When they were growing I would give them crickets twice a week. Now they do not go through as many. They are happy at abour 60 % humidity and are fun to watch.

They also change colors between night and day on based on mood. When they are "fired up" they are beautiful. They come is so many colors and patterns now too.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  14:41:41  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They are so gorgeous. I was convinced I was going to get one or two (until I saw the price tag as they are quite expensive over here complared to other types of gecko).

One day I shall get one (when the mortgage is out of the way)

Go to Top of Page

Chaoslillith
Snake mite

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  01:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Chaoslillith's Homepage  Send Chaoslillith an AOL message  Reply with Quote
They are fairly inexpensive in the States $60-150 in general. Some can get up to $200-250. They used to run more last year but the market in them dropped out as people got more interested in leopard geckos. Crested Gecko genetics is not as predictable as leopard gecko so breeding proven lines is a bit mroe difficult.

They are fun to watch and have though.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  04:49:59  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ok, So shall I not tell you that I saw cresties disappearing out of the door for as low as 25 quid at the Pompey show?

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

lee2308

101 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  23:55:35  Show Profile  Click to see lee2308's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I've just looked through my photobucket and don't have one of the viv my brazilian is already in on there (so I'll have to post one when I get home leter)

but.... here is a viv we've bought in preparation for when she's older.

It's all glass to help with humidity, but with mesh lid for good ventiliation. It's 3ft by 2ft by 2ft, so not really tall, but tall enough for a few branches etc.

(in the pic there is a heat mat, but that's because we currently have a king snake in it, when Ruby goes in we'll be heating it with a ceramic probably

i got a brand new one of these exactly the same in my garage,keep meaning to advertise it.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
721 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2009 :  09:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And you didn't get me one Kehhylr! I don't like you anymore

Lee- be careful with that tank- our glass at the bottom cracked after about 3 days. We complained to the company that makes them because the mat that cracked it was on a stat and only throwing out 27 degrees at the time, which is a low heat to break at for something designed as a reptile enclosure. They said there was nothing they could do about it though so we've had to mend it with siliconed in perspex

Go to Top of Page

Chaoslillith
Snake mite

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2009 :  20:54:50  Show Profile  Visit Chaoslillith's Homepage  Send Chaoslillith an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Kaz,

That company are b******s if that is the answer they gave you!! They should have shipped you a new tank that day. That is horrible customer service.
Go to Top of Page

MissCat
Snake mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2009 :  08:32:15  Show Profile  Click to see MissCat's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

Ok, So shall I not tell you that I saw cresties disappearing out of the door for as low as 25 quid at the Pompey show?

I got one there :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000