New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  06:52:55  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This is my male Brazilian.

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  12:38:30  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awesome loving the first pic of the head hes such a stunner he looks huge or is that because the camera is zoomed in ? How old is he and his name ?
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  17:48:28  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, that is the camera sadly enough. He is only about 2 and a half years old. He weighs 772 grams, and his name is Haze.
Go to Top of Page

Mez

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  18:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pictures thanks for sharing.

1.0.0 PH Anery BRB
1.0.0 Ultramel Lavender Corn (now back from his holidays behind the skirting boards)
1.0.0 Normal Royal Python
0.1.0 Bolivian "Silverback" Amarali BCA
0.0.5 Crested Geckos
3.1.0 Working cocker spaniels
1.1.0 Cats
4.11.0 Rats
3.0.0 Guinea pigs
0.3.0 Sabelpoot bantams
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  21:01:56  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great-looking snake, Devin, backed by sharp photography. I'm glad you joined us! Nice job recording weight as well, I wish more people did that.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  21:14:48  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I have a little leather bound book my girlfriend got me. No lines on the pages, just a blank book that I am keeping all weights recorded in. It helps to make sure your snakes are healthy and eating well, gaining weight. Especially when you plan on breeding.
Go to Top of Page

pt127494
Snake mite

8 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  21:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow nice pictures I like the eye

Paul T
Corn snake | Corn snake care sheet | Goliath bird eater
Go to Top of Page

hiper2009
Banned

United Kingdom
845 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  00:16:39  Show Profile  Click to see hiper2009's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shinslayer19

Haha, that is the camera sadly enough. He is only about 2 and a half years old. He weighs 772 grams, and his name is Haze.

Ah thanks for sharing with me Haze is gorgeous what does he feed on if you don't mind me asking
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  19:57:51  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
He feeds on medium rats f\t and anything else that my other snakes turn down lol. He is my trash compactor. He has eaten, rabbits, rats, mice, gerbils, hamster, and african soft furs.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  20:58:18  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
LOL. Quite the varied diet! If I come back as a snake, I hope it's under you!

That said, given the healthy picture and good diet, I'm surprised at the weight reading. Are you sure he's only 772?

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:52:03  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
yup, he is only a year old and i feed him a lot, I was actually worried when i read some brazilians can eat themselves to obesity. The pic make shim look a lot bigger haha I will get some with a better scale.
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:54:22  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
wait, year and a half or so.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  04:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Really happy to see you researched, Devin -- many keepers do not. I read the same care sheets you probably did, with the same (heavy) cautions on Brazilian’s tendency toward obesity. While several note that younger specimens are good at converting spare food to growth, I’ve always played it cautious, and most of the professional breeders I’ve bought from have echoed this. Based on that cumulative input, I feed one appropriately sized meal every week for the first 18 to 24 months of an animal's life, and only every other week thereafter. (I’m leaning towards making the cutoff 18 for males and 24 for females.) That rate has still seen every one of my breeders hitting 2000 grams by the 39-month mark (breeding age). It also protects against the long-term effects of obesity, which are the same as in people: a greatly shortened lifespan. A breeder of boas (not RBs) I know, good guy, noted that he lost a prized female at the ten-year mark due to overfeeding, and changed his entire attitude. And that was a *regular* boa, not the obesity-prone rainbow.

Thus, based on your revised age data, I’d caution your guy is running on the heavy side. My 18-month-olds have averaged a much lower 487 grams, with an all-time high of 637 (averaged over a bunch of snakes, all purchased as babies and carefully tracked). While I respect your experience with the species, I would consider *starting* to ramp it down, especially as you approach the 24-month mark.

Hopefully no offense--

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Shinslayer19

USA
71 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  16:54:33  Show Profile  Send Shinslayer19 an AOL message  Send Shinslayer19 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
No offense taken. I am pretty bad at dates but I think that is how old he is. I don't remember any of my other snakes because I got them when they were mid-full sized. He doesn't look like he is over weight from what is visible. He is smooth when he curves with his body, no "fat rolls." He is still very active. He also isn't fed that often. I don't feed him weekly. He is an every other week feeder. He does eat really big meals though. I offered my large female royal a rat fit for her and she turned it down because it was breeding season and she is odd about eating then. So I tried the rat with the brazilians and he was happy as could be. Do he gets a meal every other week.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  18:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear he does not look overweight. Maybe he's just older then. Anyway, every other week is perfect for a male at 18 months plus -- I'd just limit (most of) them the size of a medium rat.

Cheers, and looking forward to your next picts--

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Welly
Hatchling

United Kingdom
164 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  22:06:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean about eating machines. Samson is heading through a growth sprut at the moment. He is 230g at 11 months.
He stayed at breeder's for quite a while as he was a fuzzy feeder. Not any more lol. He would and most probably could eat much more than i offer him.

0.1.0 Royal Python
0.0.1 Mexican Black King
1.0.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000