A playmate for Skyler - update
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  17:47:02  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so Tagz is *considerably* calmer now that it's in a proper environment. It's still in a quarantine setup and will be for another few weeks, but at least I can get near it now without it going for gold in the defence department, so I grabbed a couple more shots...

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2011 :  20:23:20  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very very nice! Glad to hear he/she is calming down in a proper environment. How long were you planning for a total quarantine, if I might ask?

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  02:51:16  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snakesitter

...How long were you planning for a total quarantine, if I might ask?

I usually keep a new snake under pretty sterile conditions (newspaper, minimum decor, very close monitoring) for 6-8 weeks just to be safe. Once I feel confident that it's healthy and adjusted, I'll add substrate and more branches & such depending on the species.

This particular young pup was something that was just dropped-off at a local reptile rescue and had mites when it was brought to me, so I may lengthen the quarantine to 9-12 weeks just to make sure there's no second batch of parasites that crop-up. I have invested entirely too much time in my other snakes to allow *those* to spread, and with a gravid female in the house it's particularly concerning, so I'll probably opt for a good, long quarantine.

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture
Go to Top of Page

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  12:13:53  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
cracking looking snake, glad everything seems to be working out for this little one

GMac
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2011 :  17:49:28  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you're very smart to consider the longer period, CDN. The more snakes we get, the more trouble an outbreak can cause. I admittedly take it to extremes: unless I've dealt with a breeder more than once and with no issues, any animal that comes in get a full six-month quarantine. I always wash between these animals and my core collection, and even tools get scrubbed between them. But as I said, I'm on the extreme side.

Again, the new arrival looks great, and I love the name! Please keep us posted as to how he/she goes!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2011 :  00:28:43  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I really love this little cutie. Glad to hear that (s)he is settling in nicely. Mites SUCK (no pun intended, lol!), I know what you are going through. When I first brought my female Albino BCI home, she was literally covered in them and honest to goodness, sometimes I think she suffered brain damage from lack of blood. It took me forever to get her completely mite free and I was meticulous to keep from spreading the little b*s*ards. At least this little one is now in a better environment and will hopefully be a wonderful friend for you.

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000