Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Off Rainbow Boa
 Other Species of Boa: Photos/Videos
 Hogg Island Boa feeding (long vid, I warned you)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lotabob
Snake mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  17:41:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I setup the camera on a tripod and just let it run to show just how much this little guy plays with his food. And I apologise for it sounding like its filmed in a helicopter, new camera and mic sensitivity up too high.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1NJ6bRDt8o

Invalid User
account deleted on request

277 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  18:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
25 mins!! lol Am just watching it now, what size mouse is that?

Edit: got to 5 mins but my connection is slow today and it's buffering!

I feed my Hogg boa in his housing tub and he takes it very quickly and eats in seconds, infact he is on double feeds right now and both are gone in a very short time. I wonder if you feed him in his tub he might eat better. He might be a bit nervous in that clear open tub?

Also just seen the title, it's a medium mouse!

Edited by - Invalid User on 09/04/2011 18:31:17
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Snake mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2011 :  19:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah he is taking mediums, he did fanny about quite a bit last time he ate it very quickly, think he was just playing up for the camera. Have you noticed how once they get enough into the throat they just sit with their mouth open and let the throat muscles do the work rather than continue to use their teeth to walk over it. Not seen that before, maybe a Boa thing. I love his strikes though, its just so quick although again he didn't give it full beans for the video, his last strike was better. I'll consider feeding in his RUB if he keeps buggering about but to be honest if he eats it I don't really worry about how long it takes him, the swallowing was fast he just took a while to get the head positioned. I've not seen him nervous at all, he has balls of steel, if I try pick him up he takes the initiative and climbs up me. Don't know if its the eyes but he just seems to show a level of intelligence that the dumb oaf Royal doesn't and the corn is too laid back to know whats going on there.

Edited by - Lotabob on 09/04/2011 20:02:01
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2011 :  23:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Bah, irritating boas.
Both of mine spend ages playing with the food before eating as well. They do the entire looking at you, giving evils because they think you're gonna take the food.
Why do they do it??
Be interesting to see if anyone elses boas do.

Good vid as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  21:12:06  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Blimey, he is quicker than Boris!

Boris does the whole sneak up slowly stealth thing! Takes him 30mins to get within an inch of his prey and during this time you cant even see him move....boring Boris we call him!!! If you havnt lost the will to live by then, he might thrill you with a very slow strike!...yawn!!!

Actually, tonight he just struck like a demon but it was a one off!
Its taken him 15mins to kill it and he hasnt started to swallow yet!!!

Edited by - sandi on 11/04/2011 21:14:02
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Snake mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  22:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do really make sure its dead before they eat it, playing about and reconstricting over and over.

Poor Boris, he's just making sure his approach doesn't scare his dead dinner away. lol. That was slow, his first one he struck almost instantly and after about 5 minutes of constricting the thawed out mouse was deemed dead enough to swallow.

Go to Top of Page

Invalid User
account deleted on request

277 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  23:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will have to film Merope. She hisses it to death first then does a fast strike, a brief constrict then swallows it fast while still hissing at it lol
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  21:05:40  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh bless her, typical girl to have a hissy fit first!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000