The brongs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  23:34:36  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can't decide who is more of a show-off; Blue with his colour, Bubba with his pattern, or me with all of the above

Blue:

Bubba:

TODD
25 Years of Commitment and Responsibility in Private Herpetoculture

Kehhlyr
The Resident Loon

United Kingdom
284 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  03:48:44  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Both chunky little things.
First is a cracking colour, but 2nd just pips it for me.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Hatchling

United Kingdom
269 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  09:19:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blue looks as though he's about to go for your face NOM!

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Brazilian Rainbow Boa CB'10 "Jade"
1.0.0. Normal Cornsnake CB'00 "Camo" _RIP_
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender Cornsnake CB'11 "Amber"
0.0.1. Spider in the bathroom
Go to Top of Page

gmac
Grumpy Scots Admin

United Kingdom
710 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  12:07:23  Show Profile  Send gmac an AOL message  Send gmac a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
cracking looking beasts, but do prefer the darker first one

GMac
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  12:43:16  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Blue is 10 years old this year, so his colour won't change anymore, but wee Bubba is only going to be 2 years old this summer and he's on the cusp of deciding what colour he will be as an adult. I was really hoping for yellow and it still might happen, but it can still go either way and he may turn red. It's a crap shoot when raising brongs, you just never know what colour they'll mature into, but the ride getting there is sure interesting, lol.

TODD
Go to Top of Page

scubadude
Snake mite

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  13:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stunning CDN, had a look at a sub adult blood at local reptile shop yesterday, beautiful animals. you can be justifiably proud of these two

1.0.0 Classic corn snake - Dodge,1.2.0 Normal Royal - Palin, Lyssa & sofia,1.1.0 vanilla royal - Baskin & Robbins, 1.0.0 granite royal - Detritus
1.1.0 crawl cay boas -Maya & Pech
1.0.0 Hypo hog island boa - Harley,0.1.0 Hog island Boa - Babe
oh maybe some more to come

Go to Top of Page

sandi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2011 :  22:41:32  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very nice! I like Bubba's colour and markings so hope he stays that way! keep us posted as i know very little about them and its nice to hear about other snakes.
Go to Top of Page

Hammy

United Kingdom
68 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  09:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW .. They sure are chunky !!

Lovely photos, thanks for sharing :)

Live for today and let tomorrow look after itself!
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  13:40:20  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

Very nice! I like Bubba's colour and markings so hope he stays that way! keep us posted as i know very little about them and its nice to hear about other snakes.

Oh, he won't stay those colours at all. Python brongersmai change colour radically as they mature, but within the next two years I'll have a better idea of which way wee Bubba is going to shift, and you can be sure I'll keep you posted. There are also tons of images of them in chronological order on my site if you want to see how theirs colours have shifted over time.

TODD
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  13:50:19  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammy

WOW .. They sure are chunky !!

lol, chunky is one way to put it, but make no mistake, that's all muscle. I don't allow any of my charges to get overweight, so they all get hours and hours of free-roam time in their room, or throughout the house when I can supervise them.

Pound for pound, Bloods are the most powerful snake I've worked with over the years and when they need to, they'll call on all that power, but if well conditioned, hopefully you won't ever experience it.

Being such a heavy-bodied animal has some advantages as well as some disadvantages. Having such large proportions is a blessing for a keeper as by the time it's around 6 months old, they can already handle full grown rats. Even with that, brongs tend to grow considerably slower than their P. breitensteini counterparts and are more along the growth rate lines of their P. curtus cousins. Their bulky size makes them very fond of water, which often makes for easy clean-up. Another great trait.

On the down side, they're not the most graceful of climbers, but they will indeed readily climb given the opportunity, it just won't be a very graceful thing to watch and you have to keep an eye on them as they tend not to hang on and will often fall. When it comes to climbing, their sheer determination makes-up for their lack of grace

In the nearly quarter century I've been doing this, I've never recommended a Blood to anyone, but I've often tried to discourage unwitting folks from them, so if you're considering one, please do your homework and talk to as many Blood keepers as you can find first...these are not a beginner snake and 9 out of 10 who obtain them realize they've made a huge mistake in a very short time and that makes for a bad experience for both keeper and charge.

TODD

Edited by - CDN_Blood on 14/04/2011 13:56:53
Go to Top of Page

Tui

Finland
76 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  15:02:50  Show Profile  Visit Tui's Homepage  Click to see Tui's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How on earth did i miss this post! :/

These particular snakes are on my must have list, but extremely hard to come by in Finland!
Yours are gorgeous, this is not doing any good to my snake fever :D
This is so not fair...;)

http://finlegion.webs.com
1.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus, CB FIN
0.0.1 Morelia viridis "Sorong"/Poss HY, CB SWE
0.1.0 Epicrates c. cenchria, CB FIN
0.0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata CB FIN
0.0.2 Hymenopus coronatus CB FIN
0.0.1 Grammostola pulchra CB HUN
0.0.1 Ephebopus cyanognathus CB SWE
0.0.2 Avicularia versicolor CB SWE&GBR
0.0.1 Avicularia geroldi CB GBR
Go to Top of Page

sandi
Hatchling

United Kingdom
150 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  16:26:15  Show Profile  Visit sandi's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That fascinating cdn, I've just been on your site and having a good read up! Thats a great web site you have there!
I saw a blood recently in my local rep shop and thats the first i knew of them, not the snake for me, i will stick to mild mannered boas and royals i think! Having said that, i very much admire them!
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  18:18:13  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tui

How on earth did i miss this post! :/

These particular snakes are on my must have list, but extremely hard to come by in Finland!
Yours are gorgeous, this is not doing any good to my snake fever :D
This is so not fair...;)

Aww, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to tease...or did I...hmmm

TODD
Go to Top of Page

CDN_Blood
Rainbow oddball

Canada
489 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  18:21:51  Show Profile  Visit CDN_Blood's Homepage  Send CDN_Blood a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

That fascinating cdn, I've just been on your site and having a good read up! Thats a great web site you have there!
I saw a blood recently in my local rep shop and thats the first i knew of them, not the snake for me, i will stick to mild mannered boas and royals i think! Having said that, i very much admire them!

Well thanks, Sandi

I certainly would not consider these a 'mild mannered' animal, although the breitensteini are usually much more docile than the brongersmai. My breit is just a dreamboat, but she came to me from someone who felt she was too aggressive and out of control, so it shows how important it is to truly understand what you're getting into.

Nothin' wrong with boas and Royals, ya gotta love those!

TODD
Go to Top of Page

Lotabob
Snake mite

United Kingdom
44 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2011 :  01:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have very little knowledge of these beasties but they are stunning. I have never seen one in the flesh but your pictures are incredible. I've seen a few videos of them but I think its people playing to their short temper for the camera so you just dont get to see their true character.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000