The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Off Rainbow Boa
 Other Species of Boa: Photos/Videos
 She`s home

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
martinking6 Posted - 11/03/2011 : 16:18:21
Hiya

Had today off work so I could go get the new boa and loving it

Had sexing done by the pet shop owner at warrington pets and exotics where I bought HER from and it would appear I have a big and beautiful girl in the making, tail is lovely and red with cream surrounding the patterns and also has pastel colouration on her body

Have named her dorris lol, not taken too many pics as keeping stress down to a minimum but not sure if she will need a settling in perios tbh as she is permanently out and about exploring, she`s approx 6 months old and over 2 ft, will get weights and proper length once she`s settled in

Straight out the box she has wrapped around my arm and seems happy to be there

Into the viv and is still exploring as we speak

How bonny is she

Martin
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sandi Posted - 02/08/2011 : 14:47:47
Oh that really is good progress, well done. Sounds like you have won her over now!
martinking6 Posted - 01/08/2011 : 00:39:04
Well am hoping that a development today is a sign she is definitely starting to fully trust me with the new slow and steady approach ive been trying with her, feed day tomoz so its the time she can be a bit moody

Opened the door to her viv as usual which she happened to be waiting at and placed my hand in at the side of her, now normally i leave it there for 10 seconds or so then stroke her whilst easing my hand under her to lift her out, not needed tonight as as I placed my hand in she instantly came to my hand flicked her tongue a few times and then proceeded to make her way out the viv up my arm of her own accord

Few hrs later fed her back into the viv and to my surprise she did exactly the same thing again, was a very pleasing night to say the least as its the 1st time shes been comfortable enough to leave her viv of her own accord with no assistance from me

Martin
sandi Posted - 28/07/2011 : 18:33:45
A typicaly strong headed female! I'm a bit like that myself!!!

Boris has a bit of a strop when i get him out of his viv sometimes but i normaly put it down to not liking being woken up!
martinking6 Posted - 25/07/2011 : 23:53:59
quote:
Originally posted by sandi

Nice pics, she looks chilled! Try a warm damp towel and let her 'investigate' it, that worked for a bad shed day for my royal.

Cheers will try that

Fed her in her viv today and I have to admit it was much easier, leave her a couple of days now

One main thing ive noticed with her is if I manipulate where she is going she tends to throw a strop wrapping her tail end around whatever is available and thrashing her head about, any ideas what that is about ?

Martin
sandi Posted - 25/07/2011 : 20:11:48
Nice pics, she looks chilled! Try a warm damp towel and let her 'investigate' it, that worked for a bad shed day for my royal.
martinking6 Posted - 24/07/2011 : 08:53:56
She was playing out for about 3 hrs last night chilling whilst I was watching a few films so took a few photos to up date the thread

Little bit of shed left on the top of her head as you can see in one pic, not sure how am gonna get that off without getting her all flustered and snappy

Martin
martinking6 Posted - 23/07/2011 : 09:09:34
quote:
Originally posted by flaboye

I feed all of mine in their viv's, but I always be sure to let them know it's me and not food. On the large redtail, he's about 7' or so, I sometimes put on a motorcycle glove to go in and let him smell the glove, then if I'm bringing him out to handle I'll use the gloved hand to move the hide over and then I'll take off the glove and get him out. Right after feeding him he is ready for another rat, lol, so I don't feed in a separate tub like some do. I don't want to handle him for a couple of days after he's eaten. When they get to be 7' a bite isn't the same thing as it is with a 1 year old, trust me :)

I took a little video of mine eating yesterday after his shed, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZCeid9f0XM

Great pictures!

Joe

Hiya

I always wash my hands in an antiseptic solution before handling them so they can associate the smell with me and not food, suppose thinking about it now feeding her in the viv will be a lot easier and save the feed day problems, will give it a try

Martin
martinking6 Posted - 23/07/2011 : 09:06:18
quote:

I feed Boris in his viv and then just leave him be to digest. He is a *****cat before and after so not sure if it would help or make a difference but i would say to give it a go!

Wish dorris was a *****cat, shes more like a moody cow lol

Martin

flaboye Posted - 20/07/2011 : 18:46:26
I feed all of mine in their viv's, but I always be sure to let them know it's me and not food. On the large redtail, he's about 7' or so, I sometimes put on a motorcycle glove to go in and let him smell the glove, then if I'm bringing him out to handle I'll use the gloved hand to move the hide over and then I'll take off the glove and get him out. Right after feeding him he is ready for another rat, lol, so I don't feed in a separate tub like some do. I don't want to handle him for a couple of days after he's eaten. When they get to be 7' a bite isn't the same thing as it is with a 1 year old, trust me :)

I took a little video of mine eating yesterday after his shed, check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZCeid9f0XM

Great pictures!

Joe
sandi Posted - 20/07/2011 : 15:30:08
I feed Boris in his viv and then just leave him be to digest. He is a *****cat before and after so not sure if it would help or make a difference but i would say to give it a go!
martinking6 Posted - 20/07/2011 : 13:50:02
Hiya peeps

Had a few more issues with her over last 2 feeds so would appear to be revolving around feeding times/days

Once she has fed she appears to be stalking me as I try to ick her up to place her back in the viv, very quick movements as she follows me and coiled ready to go and normally I don`t mind a bite but I really don`t fancy it just after shes had her fangs sunk in a rat so ive had to place the feeding tank in the viv over last few times and let her go back in the viv of her own accord

Do you think feeding her in the viv would be a better idea in light of her new development ?

Really finding this hard to understand why shes gone like this so any help to get through this before she gets to prehistoric (ouch these bites bloody hurt now) size would be greatly appreciated lol ?

Martin
sandi Posted - 15/07/2011 : 08:56:11
Sounds like she is doing well for her age then.
martinking6 Posted - 14/07/2011 : 04:14:18
quote:

Good weight, how old is she now martin?

Must get round to weighing Boris but he wont fit on the scales so may need to use the scales at my vets....that should cause a stir in the waiting room!

Ha ha ye for sure it would

She is approximately 11 months old

Martin
sandi Posted - 13/07/2011 : 15:08:26
Good weight, how old is she now martin?

Must get round to weighing Boris but he wont fit on the scales so may need to use the scales at my vets....that should cause a stir in the waiting room!
martinking6 Posted - 13/07/2011 : 01:50:49
Managed to get her for a weigh in yesterday and got shock of my life at the results, she weighed in at 1.356 kilo now which I wasnt expecting at all, just shed as well so time for more pics over the weekend

Martin

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000