The Rainbow Boa Forum
The Rainbow Boa Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Rainbow Boa Posts
 Rainbow Boa Photos
 A playmate for Skyler - update

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
CDN_Blood Posted - 28/03/2011 : 17:47:02
Okay, so Tagz is *considerably* calmer now that it's in a proper environment. It's still in a quarantine setup and will be for another few weeks, but at least I can get near it now without it going for gold in the defence department, so I grabbed a couple more shots...

5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
IncurableFlirt Posted - 30/03/2011 : 00:28:43
I really love this little cutie. Glad to hear that (s)he is settling in nicely. Mites SUCK (no pun intended, lol!), I know what you are going through. When I first brought my female Albino BCI home, she was literally covered in them and honest to goodness, sometimes I think she suffered brain damage from lack of blood. It took me forever to get her completely mite free and I was meticulous to keep from spreading the little b*s*ards. At least this little one is now in a better environment and will hopefully be a wonderful friend for you.
Snakesitter Posted - 29/03/2011 : 17:49:28
I think you're very smart to consider the longer period, CDN. The more snakes we get, the more trouble an outbreak can cause. I admittedly take it to extremes: unless I've dealt with a breeder more than once and with no issues, any animal that comes in get a full six-month quarantine. I always wash between these animals and my core collection, and even tools get scrubbed between them. But as I said, I'm on the extreme side.

Again, the new arrival looks great, and I love the name! Please keep us posted as to how he/she goes!
gmac Posted - 29/03/2011 : 12:13:53
cracking looking snake, glad everything seems to be working out for this little one
CDN_Blood Posted - 29/03/2011 : 02:51:16
quote:
Originally posted by Snakesitter

...How long were you planning for a total quarantine, if I might ask?

I usually keep a new snake under pretty sterile conditions (newspaper, minimum decor, very close monitoring) for 6-8 weeks just to be safe. Once I feel confident that it's healthy and adjusted, I'll add substrate and more branches & such depending on the species.

This particular young pup was something that was just dropped-off at a local reptile rescue and had mites when it was brought to me, so I may lengthen the quarantine to 9-12 weeks just to make sure there's no second batch of parasites that crop-up. I have invested entirely too much time in my other snakes to allow *those* to spread, and with a gravid female in the house it's particularly concerning, so I'll probably opt for a good, long quarantine.
Snakesitter Posted - 28/03/2011 : 20:23:20
Very very nice! Glad to hear he/she is calming down in a proper environment. How long were you planning for a total quarantine, if I might ask?

The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000