Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  22:27:40  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
By way of introduction to the forum, following are profiles of my Brazilian Rainbow collection. This is an adaptation of a quarterly post I usually place on another forum, and has been slightly rewritten for this audience -- but should serve as a good introduction.

I currently host 21 animals. The roster consists of:

The Boys
--Drake
--Galahad
--Ghandi
--Lancelot
--Prometheus
--Scarface
--Unnamed #1
--Unnamed #2

The Girls
--Agate
--Alexandrite
--Almandine
--Bixbite
--Carnelian
--Citrine
--Jasper
--Malachite
--Onyx
--Pyrope
--Spessartine
--Tigers Eye
--Topaz

Below, each snake is given its own post, featuring name, background, weight, and six to eight photos.

For names, I use gemstones for the girls (“Living Gems Reptiles”) and famous historical figures for the boys.

For background, I include age and a sentence or two on any quirks the animal has demonstrated.

For weight, I previously used a Sunbeam food portion scale, which gave a weight based on a spinning dial marked with small measurement lines. In June 2010, I switched to a much more accurate digital model, the 7001 DX Digital Compact Scale. In either case, however, my methodology is the same: I take two measurements, then use their average (rounding down) as the final weight.

For photos, I take a series of shots indoors using a light tent, which is promising for color, but almost eliminates iridescence; and then a second series of shots outdoors, which captures the natural glow and iridescence so important to a Brazilian’s looks. In each location, I take several photos of each snake from each of three different angles: the right side, the left side, and overhead (note these directions are from my perspective, so a “left side” shot may capture the front of the snake if that is how he/she chooses to coil). I then whittle this raw footage down to a “keeper” from each angle that best captures the subject’s looks. It’s a decent methodology, but please note it’s still not perfect. As you will see, I still suffer from a few “off” shots due to the camera over-adjusting for the vivid blue of my backdrop (white balance issues, I need to learn that). I also have a tendency to take most of my photos late in the evening, so many animals show whitewalling and slightly lighter colors than they do during the day.

All that said, here we go! (I’ll put a up a few animals each day, so as not to overwhelm everyone.)

All the best,

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  22:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Drake

Overview
Born in September 2007, so now 2.75 years old, Drake – named for the legendary English adventurer, in honor of this snake’s tendency to head off and explore – was one of three 2007 acquisitions. He’s been living up to his name lately: ever since he moved to a new larger home last December, he’s been Mr. Active, even during the normally Brazilian-empty day. Interestingly, for all his courage in exploring, he is very much on the shy/evasive side until you pick him up. He currently weighs 1583 grams. This represents a 283g/22% increase from his last weigh-in three months ago. In the quarter before that, he gained 175g/16%.

Pictures

Inside

Left

Right

Outside

Shot 1

Shot 2

Note the above shots are from last quarter – as Drake is now an adult, he does not change as much quarter to quarter, and so I only trouble him for photographs twice a year. I hope no one feels cheated. ;-)

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  22:31:00  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Galahad

Overview
Born in August 2009, so now ten months old, Galahad was one of eleven 2009 acquisitions spread over two breeders. Much like his brother Lancelot, he is a fearless little fellow, and an eager feeder. He currently weighs 195 grams. There was no prior quarter to compare against.

Pictures

Inside

Left

Right

Outside

Left

Right

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  22:31:51  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ghandi

Overview
Born in June 2009, so now one year old, Ghandi – named for being one of the most placid little snakes I’ve ever met – was one of eleven 2009 acquisitions spread over two breeders. For the first six months I had him, he only got stressed once. Since then, he’s gotten a bit more assertive…but only a bit. His passivity still extends to food, which he tends to ignore unless he’s “brown bagged” with it. He currently weighs 138 grams. This represents a 63g/84% increase from his last weigh-in three months ago. In the quarter before that, he gained 25g/50%.

Pictures

Inside

Left

Right

Outside

Left

Right

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  20:07:58  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
All of them are gorgeous so far, but Ghandi is my favorite. I love his head markings and his coloring. Can't wait to see the others. Thanks for sharing!

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  23:08:52  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you, IncurableFlirt! He's a sweetheart, never gets upset about anything.

Next up:

Lancelot

Overview
Born in August 2009, so now ten months old, Lancelot was one of eleven 2009 acquisitions spread over two breeders. He’s as fearless as his namesake, almost as perfect, and brings new meaning to the phrase “eager feeder,” once grabbing his meal so enthusiastically he ripped it in half. He is full brother to Galahad, compared to whom he shows more color but less prominent crescents. He currently weighs 184 grams. This represents a 64g/53% increase from his last weigh-in three months ago. In the quarter before that, he gained 45g/60%.

Pictures

Inside

Left

Right

Outside

Left

Right

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  23:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Prometheus

Overview
Born in September 2009, so now nine months old, Prometheus was one of eleven 2009 acquisitions spread over two breeders. Just as his legendary namesake brought fire to the ancient world, so this youngster brings some fiery color to Living Gems lineup. He currently weighs 142 grams. There was no prior quarter to compare against.

Pictures

Inside

Front

Left

Right

Outside

Side

Rear

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2010 :  23:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Scarface

Overview
Born in July 2008, so now 2.00 years old, Scarface – named for a minor, non-genetic head scale injury he suffered before I got him (as well as classic movie of the same name) – was one of eight 2008 acquisitions spread over three breeders. He had a hard start to life, losing two sisters shortly after delivery, and starting out with a very slow growth rate himself. He currently weighs 520 grams, a 105g/25% increase from his last weigh-in three months ago. In the quarter before that, he gained 190g/84%.

Pictures

Inside

Left

Right

Outside

Front

Rear

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2010 :  10:48:23  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You have some really beautiful BRBs. I love those outside shots of Prometheus, just fantastic. Great looking boys, all of them. Can't wait to see the girls.

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  19:49:58  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks! Prometheus was a real find, no question about it.

Next up:

Unnamed Male #1

Overview
Born sometime in 2007, so now about three years old, this handsome bachelor is one of two Brazilians purchased as adult males to round Living Gems’ color options and genetic diversity. He came from the San Diego area, where the previous owner decided to sell him after losing his mate-to-be. A little irritable when he first arrived, he has mellowed with time. Once past his opening hiss, he is a tame but restless snake who is constantly on the move when held, and has a penchant of climbing onto his owner’s head. He currently weighs 1031 grams. There was no prior quarter to compare against.

Pictures

This new adult simply did not want to sit still for indoor pictures. I finally got him to calm down by gently holding him during that set. Thankfully, he was better outside.

Inside

Left

Right

Outside

Side
Side

Rear

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  19:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unnamed Male #2

Overview
Thought his birth year is unknown, this striking devil is one of two Brazilians purchased as adult males to round Living Gems’ color options and genetic diversity. He came from Florida, where I am told he was born to wild-caught parents, and passed though three owners before reaching me. The lack of consistency shows: he can quite literally be a “striking devil,” and is extremely distrustful of Big Folk. One of my major tasks will be to see if I can earn his trust. He currently weighs 1159 grams. There was no prior quarter to compare against.

Pictures

This new adult, too, did not want to sit still for indoor pictures. On the second day of tries, I finally got two semi-decent shots. Thankfully, he was better outside.

Inside

Shot 1

Shot 2

Outside

Front

Rear

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2010 :  19:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
(now switching to the girls)

Agate

Overview
Born in April 2008, so now 2.25 years old, Agate was one of eight 2008 acquisitions spread over three breeders. Named for a semiprecious stone known for its banding, if you look closely at her photos you will see this little lady sports some very nice “bullseye” banding of her own. She currently weighs 1083 grams. This represents a 373g/53% increase from her last weigh-in three months ago. In the quarter before that, she gained 290g/69%.

Pictures

Inside

Left

Right

Outside

Front

Rear

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  00:57:04  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I really love that second unnamed male. I bet with enough patience and work, you'll have a sweetie out of that one. Agate is gorgeous, I love her coloring and those bullseyes are beautiful.

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  18:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Incurable!

The last male is an interesting specimen: his background red is *very* light, almost a peach rather than a true red. It makes for an interesting contrast with his orange saddles.

He is finally starting to calm down! The change happened when I starting placing worn clothing in the tank to get him used to my scent. He still me watches warily, but he’s not always in ready-to-strike mode, and does not tense/panic as badly when picked up. (For which my poor nose is grateful…that was the first target he landed. Ouch!)

For Agate, you have a good eye! While her color is not bad, she is definitely a "pattern pick," meaning I acquired her because of the bullseyes you noted. Like most pattern picks in the current Brazilian market, she’s not a perfect example, but has quite a few. (Another female I’ll put up later *is* almost a perfect bullseye specimen.)

Next up:

Alexandrite

Overview
Born in October 2007, so now 2.75 years old, Alexandrite – named after a precious gem whose ideal form, in almost Brazilian-like iridescent fashion, changes color under light from fine emerald green to fine purplish red – was one of three 2007 acquisitions. Alex is a carefully observant young adult, who often parks her head just outside her hide, keeping a wary eye on what happens near her cage. She currently weighs 1655 grams. This represents a 165g/11% increase from her last weigh-in three months ago. In the quarter before that, she gained 185g/14%.

Pictures

Inside

Left

Right

Outside

Left

Right

Note the above shots are from last quarter – as Alexandrite is now an adult, she does not change as much quarter to quarter, and so I only trouble her for photographs twice year. I hope no one feels cheated. ;-)

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  18:04:16  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Almandine

Overview
Born in July 2008, so now 2.00 years old, Almandine was one of eight 2008 acquisitions spread over three breeders. Named for a gem known for its deep reddish orange color, she is a smart little serpent who has somehow figured out that Tuesday is feeding night – and is usually front and center when I make my rounds. She currently weighs 1249 grams. This represents a whopping 439g/54% increase from her last weigh-in three months ago, the highest gram gain of any snake in my collection. In the quarter before that, she gained an also-impressive 355g/78%.

Pictures
Almandine was the picture holdup this quarter. She positively, absolutely refused to shed. I eventually used fate against her, reasoning that once I gave up and took her pictures anyway, she would immediately shed. I took pictures Tuesday night. Ten minutes after returning her to her cage, she did indeed shed.

Inside

Side

Rear

Outside

Front

Side

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Actually, though, those non-so-bad-looking pictures are the *pre-shed* set. The post-shed set are as follows:

:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

Inside

Left

Right

Outside

Left

Right

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  18:04:59  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bixbite

Overview
Born in June 2009, so now one year old, Bixbite – named jointly for a red gem and her babyhood tendency to deliver justice with her teeth – was one of eleven 2009 acquisitions spread over two breeders. She’s one of the most personable and curious of my snakes, and loves to explore – often using her owner’s glasses as a starting point. She has retained just a touch of her old unpredictability, and every few holding sessions will take a little nip if she feels she’s not being treated with full respect. She currently weighs 142 grams. This represents a 62g/78% increase from her last weigh-in three months ago. In the quarter before that, she gained 23g/40%.

Pictures

Inside

Front

Side

Outside

Left

Right

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page