New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pretty_bunny
Snake mite

Trinidad and Tobago
40 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  12:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mustered up the courage to hold him :P Don't mind my hand was shaking like crazy and he definitely wasn't as nervous as I was. It took longer to pick him up because when I touched him he reared up a little and looked around at my hand.. and I certainly didn't want to get bitten again!
It was all cool though.

pretty_bunny
Snake mite

Trinidad and Tobago
40 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  12:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Okay I didn't put up the one with him on my hand because it was terrible :P Maybe next time.

Edited by - pretty_bunny on 21/10/2010 12:46:17
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  21:12:35  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lovely little fellow, Pretty Bunny! I must say, I still envy you being able to use a screen cage with impunity.

Congrats of being brave and picking him up. The behavior where they "rear up" and look back is pretty common, and is often as much curiosity as defense.

As for handling, the best advice I can give is not to be scared of nips. Babies *will* bite, but regular (and shake free ;-) ) interaction is what gets them use to you and cuts down on future nips. Eventually, as the baby learns that biting will not stop it from being picked up, the nips will cease entirely, or almost so.

Good job!

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Premium Brazilian Rainbow Boas from a disease-tested facility
Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

pretty_bunny
Snake mite

Trinidad and Tobago
40 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  21:28:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks xD My hands always shake when I'm nervous but it wasn't that bad. And he didn't even try to strike or anything. I have the towel over the mesh just in case, though ;) and I don't even bother to fold it up in the morning, just flip the front over so that's why the background is orange!
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  21:37:29  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
*Sighs happily* He is so beautiful. I really love the look of the Colombians. Sometimes I wish I lived in a 3 story house with lots of rooms. lol! Beautiful pictures, thanks so much for sharing!

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

pretty_bunny
Snake mite

Trinidad and Tobago
40 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  23:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
3 story house? Lol, what do you mean? I've confirmed that he is actually a Colombian, now to determine the age! I suppose he is a few months old, at only 18 inches.
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2010 :  00:08:19  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not surprised, he has more of a Columbian look to him. Great little guy!

LOL, I'm guessing each of those rooms would hold different reptiles?

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page

IncurableFlirt
Yearling

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2010 :  07:36:15  Show Profile  Send IncurableFlirt an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Pretty Bunny, 3 story as in...3 levels. An upstairs, a mid-section and a basement would suffice. lol! However, I don't do stairs very well, so it's probably just as well.

Snakesitter, I'd have multiple reptiles in each of the rooms.

Jenn.
11.8 Ball pythons
1.0 BCI boa
1.0 Brazilian Rainbow boa
Go to Top of Page

pretty_bunny
Snake mite

Trinidad and Tobago
40 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2010 :  16:51:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IncurableFlirt

Pretty Bunny, 3 story as in...3 levels. An upstairs, a mid-section and a basement would suffice. lol! However, I don't do stairs very well, so it's probably just as well.

Snakesitter, I'd have multiple reptiles in each of the rooms.

xD I know what a 3 story house means I was wondering why you wanted one :P But now I know. I'd dedicate the basement for the snakes and display one in my bedroom and one in the living room 8D
Go to Top of Page

Snakesitter
Rainbow Master

USA
2718 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2010 :  20:46:38  Show Profile  Visit Snakesitter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They have a way of spreading out and taking more territory, LOL. My living room is now the snake's living room.

Cliff Earle
Living Gems Reptiles

Website, Facebook
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Rainbow Boa Forum © 2000-08 TheRainbowBoa.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000